
My dog,
Petal, has a favorite sweater. My friends, and probably some people we have
never met, think I’m crazy…. But she does…Really.
Why is this
so outrageous? It is a brightly colored striped hoody in a knitted yarn. She
doesn’t wear sweaters all the time; just when we go out and it’s cold. We go out often and in the winter it is cold.
When you are a 5Lb with scraggly hair sweaters are functional; even in CA. She
rarely wears the hood up, only when some attention giving soul pulls it up for
her. I am certain she gets cold because
when I put the sweater on her she actually cuddles up in it. She even draws her
feet into it as she curls up.
I know it
is her favorite because she dances around when ever I pull it out of her
drawer. Yes, she has her own drawer. It’s a small drawer full of sweaters,
T-shirts, raincoats, costumes, and a few dresses.
I put a
T-shirt on underneath it most days. I have been asked, “Does she really need a
T-shirt and a sweater?” And I respond,
“Do you wear a T-shirt under your hoody or sweater?” Their heads shake in
disgust but they have no argument.
You can
accuse me of anthropomorphizing that she likes the sweater because she knows
she is going to go with me somewhere and get lots of attention and probably
treats. But when I put on the raincoat there is very little excitement or even
joy because she knows I am going to make her go out in the rain. She hates the
rain…. a lot.
I know this
sweater is her favorite because she likes it the best. It is older, as old as
she is. She has many hoodies and sweaters, but she is most comfortable in this
particular one. It is starting to fray around the edges and has quite a few
snags. I wash it carefully now because I know she does not want it to go away
to where old sweaters with frayed edges and snags go. In this case probably in
the trash since I doubt there is a need for 5lb dog sweaters for dogs in poor
cities or countries.
When she
snuggles up to me and I rub her through her sweater and T-shirt, she cuddles
and snuggles in even more. I am sure it feels extra special rubbing inside a
warm cuddly sweater. Just like cuddling in a blanket…. which she does when she
is not wearing her sweater.
I have a
favorite sweater. It is slightly frayed and has some snags. But I can’t part
with it because it is so comfy. I wear it around the house on cold mornings and
rub my arms to warm up and feel the soft sweater, usually over my T-shirt,
softly rub against me.
So why
can’t my little dog have the same feeling?
If your little
dog has a favorite sweater, hoody, or outfit; share it. We’d love
to see it. Not the costume that your dog wears because you make them, but a
comfy happy looking pet in one of their favorites.
No comments:
Post a Comment